22 February, 2017

SHOCK HORROR: I Own Black Clothing.


I'll be the first to admit that I rarely wear a lot of black. Through my angsty teenage years I couldn't get enough however as I've grown up (in age, not maturity), I've developed a love for colour & bold prints that my 15 year old self would have hated. That's not to say that I don't still dip into darkness occasionally but when I do, dear God do people worry. I'm confronted by concern, my friends & family walking on eggshells to ask me if I'm feeling okay.

"Is there something wrong? Do you need to talk?"
"Nah mate I've just chosen to wear black today, that's all. Chill out Nan."



I do understand their questioning though as they're sort of right; I usually only wear black when I'm tired or going to a funeral (hopefully not the latter). It's a colour for me that depicts hiding, blending into the background but also comfort. My usual get-up's consist of layers, textures & prints which of course I love - shower me in velvet & sequins please! - but when I'm having "one of those days", sometimes I just feel the need for something a little less Ru Paul & a little more Morticia Adams. Let's remember that beautiful slimming effect black has too! Perfect for that time of the month when I feel so bloated I'm afraid Greenpeace are going to hunt me down & throw me back in the ocean.




So next time you see me wearing all black, please don't worry - there's no need to approach with caution, I probably just have cramps (so maybe approach with chocolate). My hair will forever pull me back from my former angsty depths, while a pair of glitter boots act as a glimmer into my true sasspot self. Can we also take a second to appreciate that these boots were gifted to me by an absolute babe who knows full well that my spirit animal is a magpie - people like that give me hope in humanity & make me want to go back to wearing colour.

---

Leather Jacket - Vintage (similar here)
Boots - Public Desire